View all facilities

Elk River Water Tower

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
Site Information
Elk River Water Tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 (#12000284). The water tower was built in 1920 by the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Co. as part of an effort to protect Elk River from fire.

The water tower’s elevated tank is known as a hemispherical bottom, a name derived from its design which includes a half-globe-shaped bottom. This design was common used between the years of 1890 and 1940. Today there are five other water towers with a hemispherical bottom design in Minnesota located on the National Register of Historic Places, including Elk River’s.