If you have bulky items such as furniture or extra bags that need to be picked up, you can contact Republic Services directly by calling 320.252.9608. You can pay for this service over the phone.
Garbage and recycling carts belong behind the curb in your driveaway or yard on your scheduled collection day.
Carts need to be placed curbside by 6:00 a.m. on your service day to ensure pickup. If for any reason your trash/recycling has been missed on your scheduled collection day, please contact Elk River Municipal Utilities.
By placing your garbage and recycling carts appropriately, you allow Elk River's street maintenance crews to complete their jobs efficiently, no matter the season.
Common Unaccepted Waste in Curbside Collection
|Auto Batteries||Pizza Boxes|
|CFL Light Bulbs||Plastic Bags and Plastic Film|
|Construction Materials||Refrigerator and Freezer Boxes|
|Dishes, Vases, Mirrors, Windows, Ceramic, and Porcelain||Ropes, Hoses, and Chains|
|Foil Pouches, Bags, and Wrappers||Scrap Metal|
|Hazardous Waste||Shredded Paper|
|Motor Oil||Yard Waste|
You can also search Earth911 for a list of recyclers around the country or call the city's Environmental Department at 763.635.1000.
Properly disposing of unwanted medicines is important to prevent abuse or poisoning and to protect the environment. Medications flushed down the drain or disposed of in the trash can contaminate bodies of water, harm wildlife, and end up in drinking water.
Sherburne Country Residents can dispose of unwanted medicines for FREE at the drop box located inside the Sherburne County's Sheriff's Office (13880 Business Center Drive, Elk River) from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the weekdays.
- Prescription drugs (pill or capsule)
- Over the counter drugs (pill or capsule)
Items Not Accepted:
- Sharps or pointed items (needles, syringes, Epi-Pens, Lancets)
- Medication from hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.
- Non-drug items (glucose test meters, blood pressure equipment, etc.)
- Liquid medication (cough syrup, etc.)
- No identification is required
- Bring medicine in its original container
- Cross out the personal information on the container with a marker
- The drop box is self serve. Pull the handle to open and drop the unwanted medication into the box.
None at this time.