Municipal Waste Collection
Elk River Municipal Utilities manages the collection services by our two haulers and residents pay bills through them.
If you have large bulky items such as furniture, please contact your hauler directly - either Randy's Environmental Services or Republic Services. For extra garbage bags to picked up curbside, please contact Elk River Municipal Utilities.
Doorside Service Request
For residents that request doorside waste collection services due to age or disability, please fill out this application and return it to the city for review. This service may require an additional fee from the hauler.
Unaccepted Waste in Curbside Collection
- Auto batteries
- CFL light bulbs
- Oil-based paint
- Motor oil
- Construction materials
- Yard waste
- Human waste
- Hazardous waste
Household hazardous waste items, such as paint, solvents, pesticides, or other various household cleaners can be disposed of at the Tri-County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. This service is FREE to Sherburne County residents. Sherburne County offers mobile collections throughout the year. For more information, please click here.
Community Clean Up Days
Do you have a lot of junk to get rid of? Each year in the spring and fall, Elk River hosts a community cleanup, open to all Sherburne County residents. Our last event was Saturday, October 20, check back for details for the spring event.
|Electronics||CFL Light Bulbs||Misc. Trash||Scrap Metal||Document Destruction|
Please note that most items have a fee. For a full list of accepted items and the fees associated with each, please click here..
Yard waste cannot be disposed in your garbage can. Yard waste can be disposed of at the Elk River Maintenance Facility compost site.
Medication Disposal Program
Properly disposing of unwanted medicines is important to prevent abuse or poisoning and protect the environment. Medications flushed down the drain or disposed of in the trash can contaminate bodies of water, harm wildlife, and end up in drinking water.
Sherburne County Residents can dispose of unwanted medicines for FREE at the drop box located inside the Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office (13880 Business Center Drive, Elk River) from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (closed holidays).
- Prescription drugs (pill or capsule)
- Over the counter drugs (pill or capsule)
- Please keep medication in its original container, keep drug name on container, remove patients name with a marker
Items not accepted:
- Sharps or pointed items (needles, syringes, Epi-Pens, Lancets)
- Medication from hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.
- Non-drug items (glucose test meters, blood pressure equipment, etc.)
- Liquid medication (cough syrup, etc.)
- No identification is required
- Bring medicine in its original container
- Cross out personal information with a marker
- The drop box is self-serve. Pull the handle to open and drop the unwanted medicine into the box.
Contact Sherburne County Zoning at 763-765-4450 or via email.