All fees are determined by our fee schedule. Contact the Building Safety Division at 763-635-1060 before sending payment for a permit. We accept cash, check, and major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, & Discover)
Note: There is a penalty for starting construction prior to the issuance of a building permit.
---------------------------------------- UPDATE ----------------------------------------
Below is a list of all residential building permits for the City of Elk River. Contact the Building Safety Division at 763-635-1060 if you have questions or need assistance applying for a permit.
Please note that applications submitted online or via email will be processed within 1 - 2 business days (subject to change without notice). You will be contacted for payment information when the permit is ready to be issued.
- Basement Addition *
- Basement *
- Please review requirements: Basement Finish Informational Packet
- Building - Residential * (use for New Construction, Remodel, Repair, Solar Energy, Drain Tile, Radon, Retaining Wall, etc.)
- Please review requirements: New Construction Informational Packet
- Deck/Porch *
- Please review requirements: Deck/Porch Informational Packet/Requirements
- Demolition **
- Fireplace or Fireplace Submit Online
- Outbuilding/Accessory Structure * (use for sheds/structures over 200 sq. ft., pole buildings, garages, etc.)
- Grading/Excavation **
- Mechanical or Mechanical Submit Online (Residential only) - Be sure to check out the available ERMU rebates: https://www.ermumn.com/programs-rebates/residential-rebates
- Plumbing or Plumbing Submit Online (Residential only)
- Pool *
- Reroof or Reroof Submit Online - For inspections, please email ice & water shield photos to Building@ElkRiverMN.gov.
- Residing or Residing Submit Online - For inspections, please email house wrap photos to Building@ElkRiverMN.gov.
- Septic * (As-Built Form) ***Soil Verification Inspection MUST be completed by System Designer before the permit can be issued!
- For Information on Financial Assistance for Failing Systems, available through Sherburne County, please visit: https://www.co.sherburne.mn.us/816/Financial-Help
- Sewer and Water (As-Built Form) or Sewer and Water Submit Online (Repairs **)
- Street Disruption / Right-of-Way *
- Windows/Doors or Windows/Doors Submit Online (* New opening or egress window requires plans submitted for a plan review)
* Requires Plan Review - Submit one copy of plans
** Requires Approval
Below is a list of all commercial building permits for the City of Elk River. Contact the Building Safety Division at 763-635-1060 if you have questions or need assistance applying for a permit.
Note: All commercial permit applications require approval
- Basement Building - Commercial * (use for New Construction, Addition, Remodel, Repair, Outbuilding/Accessory Structure, Residing, Window/Door Replacement, Tower, etc.)
- Please review requirements: Commercial Permit Application Requirements
- Grading/Excavation *
- Fire Alarm
- Fire Sprinkler * (any work involving 20 or more sprinklers heads must be reviewed by the State Fire Marshal)
- Mechanical *
- All Commercial/Institutional/Industrial Mechanical applications MUST submit a set of plans. New buildings require engineer stamped and signed plans. Existing buildings may also require engineer stamped and signed plan.
- Be sure to check out the available ERMU commercial rebates! https://www.ermumn.com/programs-rebates/commercial-rebates
- Plumbing *
- Septic *
- Sewer and Water
- Sign - Permanent *
- Sign - Temporary *
- Street Disruption/Right-of-Way *
* Requires a set of plans submitted
The City of Elk River does not issue electrical permits.
To apply for an electrical permit, you will need to apply through the State of Minnesota via the Department of Labor and Industry website.
For Contractors: click HERE
For Homeowners: click HERE
All of the instructions on how to set up an account and apply for a permit can be found on their website.