Garbage and Recycling
2019 Fall Clean Up Day on Saturday, October 12 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Bring in your unwanted household items to recycle or dispose of for free or at a reduced cost. The City of Elk River welcomes all Sherburne County residents (with proof of residency) to this clean up event.
Acceptable items include appliances, electronics, furniture, carpet, mattress/box spring, car seats, propane tanks, tire, scrap metal, fluorescent bulbs, household textiles and more. Please consider donating gently used items to local charities, rather than disposing of them.
- Bring items to the Elk River Maintenance Facility located at 19000 Proctor Road
- Please complete the form in advance and bring cash or check for payment (credit cards will not be accepted)
- Most items are priced individually including carpet, mattresses, appliances and electronics
- Mixed trash does not include any other listed items (electronics, mattresses, carpet, etc.)
- New this year - we are accepting clothing and household textiles (in good condition) and car seats ($5 each)
- Liquids and fluids must be drained from all items
- Load your vehicle with electronics, lights and appliances first, then mattresses, carpet and trash
- Plan to unload your own items
- Items not listed on the form must be approved prior to the event by calling 763-635-1068
*Notice of Filming and Photography: By entering the event premises, you're consenting to be photographed and recorded. These images/film may be used for future event promotion.*
The City of Elk River arranges for the collection of residential trash, recycling and organics. Under the current program, the city is divided into two collection districts. Each district is served by either Republic Services or Randy’s Environmental Services. More information on Elk River's garbage collection services can be found here. Wondering about cart placement, or what to do if you've been missed on your collection day? Click here for more information.
The City of Elk River provides every-other-week single stream recycling service. Your collection week depends on where you live in the city and your hauler's route. The City of Elk River also provides other recycling opportunities as well as a list of local recyclers. For more information on Elk River's recycling services, please click here. Wondering about cart placement, what to do if you've been missed on your collection day, or what items are able to be recycled and what aren't? Click here for more information.
The City of Elk River provides organic food waste recycling via our voluntary, free drop off program. Items are collected at home in special Blue Bag compostable bags and taken to two locations for collection. Please click here for more information.
Trash and Recycling Service Forms
Sherburne County Household Hazardous Waste Events
Dispose of household chemicals, paint, cleaners, batteries and more at the county's numerous events. These events are free to all Sherburne County residents (I.D. required). Click here for upcoming event information, and to view a list of accepted items. More information is also available on the Sherburne County website.