The City of Elk River is proud to offer a free organics recycling drop off program.
By utilizing food waste from your home, organics recycling converts material that is otherwise trash into compost which can be used as fertilizer. Reduce your trash and increase your recycling by participating.
REDUCE WASTE: Food waste is one of the largest items in landfills.
REDUCE ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINS: Decomposition of organics in a landfill produces methane, a greenhouse gas.
CREATE FERTILIZER: Food waste is a valuable material that if properly collected can be converted into nutrient-rich compost.
SAVE MONEY: Reduce your weekly trash quantity.
Ready to start organic recycling? Click here to sign up.
When you sign up for the City of Elk River Organics Recycling Program, you will receive a free supply of compostable bags. These bags are made from BPI certified materials and are both durable and compostable. Collect food waste at home in the Green Bags and then bring them to one of our drop off sites.
While supplies last, the City of Elk River is giving away a free bin to new and existing customers. To qualify for a free bin, be sure to sign up online and then deliver your first compost drop. Stop by City Hall or call the front desk at 763.635.1000 to coordinate your bin pick up. Quantities are limited to one bin per household.
Drop Off Sites
|Elk River City Hall||Elk River Compost Site||Elk River Landfill|
|13065 Orono Parkway||19000 Proctor Road NW||22460 Highway 169|
|Dumpster accessible anytime||5:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.|
Free to Elk River residents with keycard
|7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
Monday - Friday
*Please be aware these dumpsters are for organics recycling only. All sites are monitored, please do not leave items other than your organic waste. Dumpsters are clearly labeled "Organics Only."
Accepted Items for Organics Recycling
- Food Scraps
- Dairy Products
- Tea Bags (no synthetic tea bags, remove staples)
- Food-soiled Paper Products (without plastic coating)
- Paper Towels/Napkins/Tissues
- Papers Plates/Cups (without plastic coating)
- Pizza Boxes
- Coffee Grounds/Filters
- Egg Shells/Cartons (without plastic coating)
- Certified compostable food service items with BPI logo
- Cotton balls and swabs with paper stems (no plastic)
- Hair and nail clippings
- Houseplant trimmings and flowers
- Wooden items (chopsticks, popsicle sticks, and toothpicks)
Unaccepted Items for Organics Recycling
- Plastic Bags
- Yard Waste
- Cigarette Butts
- Plastic-coated Items
- Diapers/Sanitary Products
- Pet Waste/Pet Bedding
- Foil-lined Containers
- Recyclable Items
- Cleaning or baby wipes
- Dryer lint and dryer sheets
- Fast food wrappers
- Frozen food boxes
- Microwave popcorn bags
- Paper with a shiny, smooth coating (unless it's BPI certified)
- Products labeled "biodegradable"
- Wax paper or parchment paper (unless it's BPI certified)