Current Weather
RSSPrintFor Businesses

Go To Search
DepartmentsGovernmentCommunityHow Do I
Click to Home
Licensing Exemptions, Transfers, and Closing a License

Canceling or Transferring a Rental Dwelling License

If your rental dwelling is no longer a rental (i.e. it is now owner occupied) or meets one of the exceptions as outlined in Sec. 30-191 of the Elk River Code of Ordinances, please complete and submit an Affidavit of Non-Rental Dwelling

Transferring a Rental Dwelling License

Sec. 30-198, a rental dwelling license is nontransferable and shall automatically terminate within 30 days of closing on the sale of the licensed building unless, within 30 days of said closing, the new owner applies for and is granted a rental dwelling license for said building in accordance with this article.

If you are the existing owner of a licensed rental dwelling and wish to report a sale, please contact the Fire & Building Safety Division at 763.635.1060 or via email at

If you are the new owner of rental dwelling and wish to continue renting the dwelling, you must submit a new application (a Conversion Fee does not need to be paid if the property has had a rental license within the past 12 months). Do not delay in applying for a new license!